Here are the five tips I give to all of my clients for maximizing their results with my skin care and obtaining the elusive “glow”. Follow these tips and you will see a notable improvement in your skin within one to two weeks.
1. Drink 8, 8oz. glasses of water a day. Drinking water allows your cells to rejuvenate, keeps your skin looking moist and juicy and is consequently one of the single best things you can do to improve the appearance of your skin. It is best to drink room temperature water in small amounts over the course of the day to be sure it is properly absorbed into the body. Also, mix it up by drinking coconut water, “spa water” infused with lemons and/or cucumber and green tea, all of which are also great for the skin. During a busy day it can be hard to remember to drink enough water, so I recommend keeping a nalgene with you at all times. Personally, I like nalgenes with a straw for added convenience.
2. Eat a balanced, anti-inflammatory diet. What we put in our bodies will show on our skin. If you eat large amounts of highly inflammatory or highly-processed foods your skin will directly reflect that – so it is essential that you give your skin proper nutrition. The best foods for your skin are salmon, berries, dark leafy greens, walnuts, and avocado. Also, make sure you get plenty of vitamin C: it increases cell turnover, helps protect against sun damage, and boosts the production of collagen and elastin in your skin. Foods packed with vitamin c include citrus fruits, mangoes, kiwis, tomatoes, broccoli, red peppers, and potatoes.
3. Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. A lack of sleep will show up under your eyes as dark circles or bags and will also cause your skin to look dull and sallow over time. Proper rest will also benefit your body and your life. In addition, pay attention to how you sleep. When you sleep on your side, you are actually pressing wrinkles into your skin, while at the same time exposing your skin to bacteria. Either sleep on your back or use our specially designed beauty pillow that is made to allow you to comfortably keep your face off your pillow while you sleep.
4. Avoid the sun and tanning beds. The damage done by ultraviolet rays is long lasting and is the #1 leading cause of premature aging. That being said, be diligent in protecting yourself from the sun by using a daily moisturizer with an SPF of 15 or higher, and reapply during the day. See our post on the Seven Sun Sins for more tips on how to protect your skin from the sun.
5. Exfoliate your skin regularly. Exfoliation is one of the most important steps in maintaining youthful, glowing skin. This is because, as dead cells accumulate, your skin stops reflecting light and absorbs up to ten times its weight in moisture. If you want fresh-looking skin, you must encourage cell turnover — and exfoliation does the job. When looking for a good exfoliator, I suggest products that use light polyethelene beades rather than gritty apricot pits, which are in most exfoliating creams and can irritate or rupture skin.
Like this post? Please share it on facebook using the button below!