1. Whiten your teeth. Teeth whitening is one of the fastest ways to brighten your look and an affordable way to look younger and healthier. Teeth whitening is fast, and what used to cost hundreds of dollars, can now be done professionally for between $129-$200 or at home for as little as $20.
2. Update your hair style. Have you had the same hairstyle for more than 5 years? It s easy to fall into the hair rut – you find a cut that looks good on you and you don t give it another thought, pretty much EVER. It s worth the investment to go to what I call a “hair artist”. That is someone who stays current on new trends and who is gifted in creating a look that is unique to you and your features, hair texture and skin tone. How do you find a “hair artist” near you? Ask someone you know (or see on the street) who has a great cut who they go to or go on Yelp to find a stylist in your area with phenomenal reviews.
3. Update your makeup style and colors. The same thing applies to makeup as it does to hair style and color. Are you outdated? Have you changed your look in the last 5 years? As we age our skin tone can change, and as that happens makeup style and color may need to be adjusted. Have you seen older women who look garish because their makeup looks like it was painted on? And yet, you’ve probably seen women who look amazing, natural and well put together because they adjusted their makeup tone and application. Just as our hair color may need to be adjusted as we age, so do our makeup colors. Go to a professional make-up artist (or stop by Vasseur) for recommendations for new colors and techniques that compliment your skin tone.
4. Smile more. I have to say it…smiling takes years off of your looks and makes you look instantly healthier and happier. We won’t suggest you smile just to smile. We are saying you may want to practice having small moments of gratitude during the day, read something funny, play with a child, watch something entertaining or anything else that brings a true look of joy to your face. This year, I made a commitment to write in a gratitude journal every morning …this reminds me every day of all the things I have to smile about.
5. Try Botox. Erase deep frown lines from between your eyes with a quick shot of Botox or Restylane. This will give you an instant change in the appearance of your mood. The fact is that the deep creases between your eyes can’t be dramatically changed with topical products alone, and getting some light Botox is safe, semi-permanent and effective (FAQ’s about Botox).
6. Invest in a skin serum. Maybe you’ve heard the buzz about anti-aging serums but haven’t tried them yet because they seem too pricey and you’re not sure if they’re worth it. Well, here’s the science behind serums: serums contain highly concentrated ingredients chemically formulated into molecules much smaller than those in creams, and are thus absorbed quickly and more deeply into the skin for a highly intensive effect. Vasseur has four ultra-targeted serums that start to tighten the skin within 1-2 weeks of use. If you want your skin to look tighter quickly, serums are the way to go. (Need help picking out a serum for you? Email us!)
7. Get a (sunless) tan. Getting a tan is a great way to look healthier. If your skin tends to look washed out at this time of the year, then a spray tan is a safe and effective way to give yourself some healthy color. If you can’t fit in time for a professional spray tan, try using an over the counter cream – we like St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse and Infinity Sun Glow on the Go.
8. Correct your age spots. Brown spots (aka age spots or pigmentation) are sure signs of aging and/or skin damage. While taking preventative measures against getting brown spots is best, it is thankfully something that can be dealt with by use of peels, laser treatments and/or Vasseur’s Fade Cream.
9. Get Moving. Now is the time of year to start exercising more. But joining a gym is not the right path for everyone. It took me years (and several lapsed gym memberships) to realize I had to find a way to exercise that works for me. So, I alternate 35-minute at-home workout tapes 5 days a week (I use the Power 90 at home boot camp DVD’s). To stay with it, I work out at the same time every day so it’s now a habit. Find a fitness routine that works for you and get others to join you and make it a social activity. Not only will you look better, you’ll feel better.
10. Be positive! A healthy and positive attitude is clearly seen on your face. Someone who feels joyous most often looks joyous. Did you ever see someone who just looked very happy? Didn’t they appear to be healthier looking? You may not have noticed it at the time, but when you are out and about today take notice of people who look happy, and see if they don’t also look healthier. A can-do positive attitude affects everything in your life, therefore, it is certainly worthy of time and effort spent to improve yours if you feel it’s warranted. If you need support on your path to personal positivity, I recommend listening to The Power – I start off every single day listening to it.
11. Brighten your eyes. Get some help for your under eye dark circles with extra sleep if necessary, controlling allergies, using the correct shade of concealer and/or using an Eye-Q-Gel/ Gold Serum combo. Dark circles make you instantly look tired, so help yourself look healthier, more alert and rested by utilizing these easy tips.
What other tips do you have for looking younger and healthier in 2011?