The winter months can wreak havoc on the skin…this is due to both internal and external factors at play:
Here are 7 simple tips for healing extremely dry or peeling skin quickly.
1. Invest in a humidifer – Your skin needs more than 30 percent humidity to stay properly moisturized. A room heated by a furnace can have as little as 10 percent moisture. In the winter, consider sleeping with a humidifier in your bedroom. Keep doors closed so the moist air doesn’t escape the room. Here is one we like ($48 on Amazon).
2. Apply Vasseur’s Healing Serum – our Healing Serum is an all natural, highly-concentrated serum designed to heal extremely dry and irritated skin. It contains pumpkin seed and carrot oil, and has been proven to speed the healing time of dry, peeling skin by 3x! Apply twice daily until the skin is back to normal.
3. Drink a lot of water – Internal hydration allows your body to create new skin cells and repair and rebuild your natural barrier. A good rule of thumb is to drink (in ounces) half of your body weight in water. Also try drinking coconut water, which has skin benefits and also contains potassium and other electrolytes that increase the speed of hydration.
4. Spritz a Toner – A toner is designed to bring your skin back to its normal pH as well as hydrate the skin and kill bacteria. Spritz your face with an alcohol-free toner to make your product go further, to set your makeup or when you’re feeling dry/cracking throughout the day.
5. Use Liquid foundation – A liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer is the easiest, most comfortable form of foundation to use when you have dry skin. It hydrates and makes the cracks and peeling in your skin less prominent. Powder foundations absorb oil and water; they also give a matte look, which makes the peeling stand out and the skin look dry. (If you are located in San Diego, stop by our spa and we can mix you a non-pore clogging liquid foundation to specifically match your skin tone!)
6. Don’t lick your lips – Licking your lips will not moisturize them and instead will help dry them out. Lips retain less moisture than other parts of the body, so they tend to dry out more quickly. Try our new Beauty Balm, which contains olive oil, honey and other natural healing oils in a soy wax base that work together to penetrate and heal even the most stubborn chapped lips.
7. Don’t pick! – Picking at peeling or dry skin allows bacteria onto the raw skin and may cause scarring and hyperpigmentation.
Have other tips that work for you? Please comment below!