If you have oily skin, it is important to first and foremost invest in skin care products that will tame your excess oil and control your breakouts. Why? Because if you have great skin, then you won’t have to pile on foundation and makeup to cover it up.
Look for skin care lines that are non-pore clogging, toxin/paraben free, high-potency and high-quality (such as Vasseur Skincare). Please note that natural/organic product lines tend to be oil-based with a low concentration of active ingredients, and thus lack effectiveness (and can make your skin even more oily). So, when picking out skin care make sure the products you use are concentrated and potent enough to get the job done. ***At the bottom of this post is my recommended skin care regime for those with oily and acne prone skin***
Now that I’ve lectured you on the importance of investing in good skin care, let’s address foundation. The key to picking out a good foundation is knowing what ingredients to avoid.
Below is a list of pore clogging ingredients that you want to ensure are NOT in your foundation. Because oily skin also tends to be acne prone, these ingredients can cause you to break out…leading you to put on more make up to cover it up…leading to yet more breakouts (see the vicious cycle here? Read our post on cosmetic acne to learn more).
- PORE CLOGGING FOUNDATION/MAKEUP INGREDIENTS TO AVOID: Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Isopropyl myristate, Isopropyl palmitate, Isopropyl isostearate, Butyl stearate, Isostearyl neopentanoate, Myristyl myristate, Decyl oleate, Octyl stearate, Octyl palmitate, Isocetyl stearate, PPG2 myristyl propionate
That being said, the top foundation brands that I recommend are:
For Heavy/Medium Coverage
- Youngblood (Liquid Mineral Foundation or Pressed Mineral Foundation). Youngblood makes extremely high-quality & non-pore clogging foundation products that provide excellent coverage. I also find that their shades tend to be really natural-looking and blend well.
- Custom Vasseur Foundation. If you are in the San Diego area, we can make you a custom blended foundation at our Day Spa that will match your skin tone exactly and provide great coverage.
For Medium/Light Coverage
- Bare Essentials (SPF Foundation Powder). These products are non-pore clogging and the powder format absorbs oil in your skin. The only downside is that their foundations do not provide the best coverage, so you may also need a good concealer (or our ALA cream) to address any redness.
- Tinted Day 25 Cream. If you have great skin and don’t need heavy coverage, try Vasseur Skincare’s tinted Day 25 cream – this will serve as your foundation, moisturizer and sunscreen and will protect your skin from the elements.
Now, as far as makeup goes, it is most important to be selective in choosing your blush, bronzer and concealer…as these are the products that touch the largest area of your face and can lead to excess oil and breakouts. For these products, I highly recommend Youngblood, Bare Essentials and Nars. I love the Youngblood pressed mineral blush, Nars blush in “Orgasm” and Bare Essentials “warmth all over” bronzer.
For eye and lip products, use whatever brand you like (my personal favorite brands are Nars, Laura Geller and Mally).
Please let me know in the comment section below if you have any follow-up questions.
Melanie Vasseur’s Recommended Oily Skin Care Regime
– Foaming Cleanser. Ph-balanced cleanser that will remove makeup and excess oil without stripping the skin.
– ALA Cream. Pore minimizing skin radiance cream that will reduce skin blotchiness and redness.
– Day 25 Cream (Regular or Tinted). All-in-one sun protection, moisture and antioxidants for your skin. Note: it is a myth that those with oily skin shouldn’t moisturize. When your skin doesn’t have the proper moisture levels, the dehydration causes the skin to produce oil… giving you oilier skin.
– Reveal 10. Potent combination of glycolic, lactic and mandelic acid that treats breakouts and scarring, while simultaneously removing dead, dull skin cells and excess oil.
– Copper Peptide Serum (if aging skin). Highly concentrated serum will strengthen the connective tissue of the skin and visibly reduce fine lines.
Melanie Vasseur’s Recommended Oily/Acne Prone Skin Care Regime
– Day 25 Cream (Regular or Tinted).
– On-the-Go Spot Treatment. Use as needed on blemishes to dry up pimples.
– Reveal 10.
– Benzoclear 5 or 10. Will oxygenate pores and kill bacteria, preventing future breakouts.