In the summer months bathing suits and more skin-revealing clothes are worn, all of which prominently display the skin on the back. Here are three quick tips for ensuring a clear, smooth and glowing back.
1. Switch to a sulfate free shampoo, conditioner and body wash.
Sulfates (sodium laurel sulfate and sodium laurelth sulfate) are a major cause of back acne. This is because sulfates are extremely cheap ingredients (they are actually by products of gasoline production!) and clog the pores in the skin. Sodium sulfates are so harsh they are commonly used as garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers and car wash. In short – these are not ingredients that you want to wash your hair or body with! Check the ingredients in your shampoo, conditioner and body wash and insure they do not contain any sulfates.
2. Wear cotton.
Sweat buildup is also another aggravating factor that leads to bacne. Ensure any material touching your back is clean, and if possible, made of cotton, which removes sweat from your skin. We also recommend using organic laundry detergents on your tops, pillow cases and sheets– as often times regular detergents contain harsh chemicals that can irritate the skin.
3. Spot treat blemishes as needed.
To treat existing bacne we recommend the following routine:
- While showering, wash the area with Foaming Cleanser.
- Pat the back area dry with a towel and then spray either Chamomile Toner or Papaya Enzyme Toner on the area. This will kill the bacteria and prep the area for treatment.
- Follow by applying Kiss Zit Goodbye – leave on overnight or for at least 20 minutes and rinse.
As temperatures rise and summer sets in, it is important to not neglect your back when it comes to your skin care routine. By following these tips, you can make sure that when the time comes, your back is ready.