Call them what you’d like – age spots, brown spots, sun spots, hyperpigmentation – we call can agree they’re a frustrating and annoying skin issue. And, since summer just ended, you may be noticing new brown spots you accumulated from too much fun in the sun. So, what can you do about it?
Before we go into solutions, lets first review the factors that trigger melanin production
- UV sun exposure
- Heat from the sum (see, did you know? below)
- Overuse of strong chemical peels and laser procedures
- Excessive picking at blemishes
- Excessive rubbing of an area (i.e. using a sweat band to rub your forehead while working out)
- Perfume (you can read more about this here)
- Prescription medications
- Birth Control Pills
Did you know that even with a good daily sunscreen, the heat from the sun triggers inflammation, and inflammation sets off a response to increase melanin activity? With the proper home care and in-spa professional treatments, brown spots and freckles will definitely get lighter. Unfortunately, in the heat, brown spots can be made worse, even if you are wearing sunscreen, sunglasses, hat and sitting under an umbrella in the heat.
With all of the above, the main goals with the skin are to:
- Exfoliate: Break up and remove pigmented cells bi weekly with a chemical exfoliant like our Reveal 10 and a scrub like our Exfoliating Cleanser.
- Use a skin lightener: Fade and suppress the melanin cells using a specialized cream like our all-natural Fade Cream that uses a dynamic combination of alpha hydroxy acids to gently lighten spots.
- Wear a moisturizer with sunscreen 365 days a year, rain or shine, inside or out – like our Day 25 Cream.
And remember, be patient – your spots are not going to disappear overnight. Typically, the longer the pigmentation is there, the longer it will take to fade.
2 thoughts on “Brown Spots: Causes and Solutions”
Fade cream has made such a difference on my skin that I thought I would give the Reveal 10 a try. Beings that I have dark pigmentation in patches right under my eyes. I was starting to feel like a sad clown when I didn’t wear makeup. I am happy to say after introducing the reveal 10 twice a week, there is a dramatic difference after just one month. I was happy to see that I have been taking the correct steps in getting rid of my pigmentation. Thank you! 🙂
As far as solutions for skin discoloration, I always recommend Scarlight to my patients. The multi-technology lighteners in Scarlight MD treat scars & discoloration. It’s available at pharmacies and online here: http://www.scarguard.com/scarlight.html