Many clients that I meet are unsure as to whether they should be using toner as a part of their skin care regime and how it actually benefits the skin. So, to answer these questions once and for all, here are the 5 main benefits of using toner:
1. Toner gives your skin a dose of moisture before applying your other skin care products
Make sure to only use an alcohol-free toner. Toners that contain alcohol are extremely drying to the skin and should never be used. See Vasseur Skincare’s line of freshly made, alcohol free toners.
2. Toner kills blemish-causing bacteria on the skin
The witch hazel in toner has an inherent disinfectant property, which helps kill bacteria and prevents inflammation that causes acne.
3. Toner supports your skin’s protective barrier
By supplying the skin with essential hydration and nutrients, you repair the skin’s protective barrier making it less sensitive and resistant to environmental damage.
4. Toner enhances the results of your skin care program
Depending on the ingredients used in the toner, they can help calm, control oil, stimulate blood circulation, destroy acne-causing bacteria, provide antioxidant benefits and more.
5. Toner removes drying chlorines and minerals found in tap water
Many chlorine and chemicals are put into tap water to destroy harmful bacteria but they can be dehydrating to the skin. A good toner can remove these harsh chemicals from the skin.
When to Use Toner
- In the morning and at night, after washing your face
- Before flying
- After working out at the gym or running (kills the bacteria/toxins from your sweat)
- During work to freshen up
The Proper Way to Use Toner
After washing your face, pat it dry and then lightly spray toner over your entire face. Let the toner set – don’t wipe or rub off. Apply your skin care products directly to your damp skin – this will help infuse the moisture into your skin and increase the effectiveness of your skin care products.