Wrinkles on the lips and upper mouth area are often the first signs of aging on the face and can appear as early as the 20’s. Women tend to get lip & mouth wrinkles more often than men due to the fact that our skin is thinner. While lip wrinkles can happen to anyone, they are accelerated by repeated movement, sun exposure, smoking and genetics.
How to Prevent Mouth and Lip Wrinkles
Women in your twenties and thirties, listen up! Now is the time to focus on PREVENTING mouth wrinkles. To prevent them from forming, diligently follow these tips:
- Keep your mouth area hydrated. Adequate hydration is a key and often overlooked step in keeping your mouth area young and wrinkle free. Think of wrinkles like raisins- they need to be plumped up with moisture to retain their smooth appearance.
- LIPS: Wear a good, healthy lip balm under your lipstick every day – not just in cold winter months when the lips tend to dry out. Note that most chapsticks contain dangerous synthetics, so opt for a natural alternative like Burts Bees or Vasseur Beauty Balm.
- MOUTH AREA: It’s critical that you wear a moisturizing sunscreen around your mouth area during the day and a heavy moisturizer around your mouth at night, every night (i.e. Night Cream, Supermoist or a Serum).
- Don’t drink out or straws or water bottles and don’t smoke. The repeated expression of pursing the lips (most commonly done when drinking through straws or water bottles and smoking) contributes to wrinkles forming around the area. Be aware of your lip pursing and always drink out of a glass rather than a straw or water bottle.
- Sleep on your back or on a Beauty Pillow. On a normal pillow, you sleep with your mouth area crushed into the pillow for 6-8 hours a night, which over time wears down the elastin in the area and the wrinkles become permanent. By sleeping on a back or a Beauty Pillow, you will keep your face off of the pillow and prevent the development of wrinkles while you sleep (read more about sleep wrinkles).
How to Get Rid of Lip and Mouth Wrinkles
Once you already have lip or mouth wrinkles that have started to develop, there are a few steps you can take to minimize and even erase them.
Early stage wrinkles:
- Use Eye Q Gel. Don’t be fooled by the name – Eye Q Gel can also be used to instantly tighten wrinkles around the mouth. Eye Q gel contains plant stem cells and topical botox that instantly tightens the skin.
- Use Gold Serum. Gold Serum will provide deep-penetrating moisture and build up the connective tissue under the skin, which will lessen your mouth area wrinkles over time.
- Get a TCA peel. A TCA peel is a medium strength chemical peel that will penetrate deeply into the dermis to stimulate collagen production and help firm the skin. Always get a TCA peel from a professional (At Vasseur Skin Clinic and Spa, a TCA peel is $150). Expect 2-7 days of down time where your skin will be red and peeling, so plan accordingly.
Deep or Severe Mouth Wrinkles:
- Get Juvederm. For more deep set wrinkles, look into juvederm. Juvederm is a smooth gel filler that instantly smoothes away wrinkles around your mouth and nose. With just one treatment, you will get natural-looking results that last up to a year.